It is the policy of the Directors of the Southwest Vermont Supervisory Union, Bennington School District, Inc., Mount Anthony Union School District, North Bennington Graded School District, Pownal School District, Shaftsbury School District, and Woodford School District board that each school in the Southwest Vermont Supervisory Union in conjunction with the Southwest Vermont Supervisory Union shall develop a comprehensive system of education services, including an educational support system, designed and implemented in consultation with parents, to assist teachers in accommodating children in the regular classroom to the greatest extent possible. The system shall consist of an Educational Support Team composed of staff from a variety of teaching and support service positions, and shall incorporate a range of referral, support and remedial services as well as the means to determine the effectiveness of accommodations or services recommended by the Educational Support Team. Members of this team shall vary according to the needs of the individual student.
The Superintendent or his/her designee shall ensure that the Educational Support Team's system will:
- Be integrated to the extent appropriate with the general education curriculum;
- Be designed to increase the ability of the general educational system to meet the needs of all students;
- Be designed to provide students the support needed regardless of eligibility for categorical programs;
- Provide clear procedures and methods for handling a student who disrupts a class and shall include provision of educational options, support services and consultation or training for staff where appropriate. Procedures may include instructional placement reassignment of the student from the classroom or the school building as appropriate consistent with local policies, and federal and state laws and regulations;
- Ensure collaboration with families, community supports and the system of health and human services;
- Each team shall:
a) provide a procedure for timely referral for special education evaluation when eligibility is warranted;
b) be composed of staff from a variety of teaching and support service positions;
c) screen referrals to determine what classroom accommodations and remedial services have been tried;
d) assist teachers in planning and providing services and accommodations to students in need of classroom supports or enrichment activities;
e) Maintain a written record of its actions.
There is no individual entitlement or private right of action created.
IH (Instructional Placement)
Citation: 16 VSA 2901, 2902