The Boards of Directors of the Southwest Vermont Supervisory Union, Bennington School District, Inc., Mount Anthony Union School District, North Bennington Graded School District, Pownal School District, Shaftsbury School District, and Woodford School District recognize that school population consists of individuals of a wide range of ages and physical well being who participate in a variety of activities. Therefore, a potential for illness and injury exists.
- A student/employee who has a suspected or contagious illness should remain at home (see communicable disease policy #5140).
- Parents of a student with a known medical condition or change in health status are responsible for notifying the school nurse.
- At least one staff person in each school will be designated to attend to illness and administer first aid in the absence of the school nurse or R.N. substitute.
a.) Inservice training with certification for CPR and first aid will be provided annually to designated staff members.
b.) Time will be allotted for the school nurse to provide information to the designated staff members regarding health office procedure.
- The school nurse, the designated staff member, or the building administrator may decide to call the rescue squad to transport an injured or ill individual to Southwest Vermont Medical Center.
- Parent(s) will provide school personnel with the names and telephone numbers of adults who can be reached during the day whom they authorize to take responsibility if the student becomes ill.
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) will be responsible for informing non-employees (e.g. bus drivers) of their student's medical conditions which may require emergency attention.
- A daily health log/documentation will be maintained.