The Boards of Directors of the Southwest Vermont Supervisory Union, Bennington School District, Inc., Mount Anthony Union School District, North Bennington Graded School District, Pownal School District, Shaftsbury School District, and Woodford School District recognize that all students must meet immunization requirements as defined by Vermont State Law.
- A student may be exempted from immunization requirements for medical, religious or moral reasons if one of the following is provided to the school:
a. Medical exemptions - A signed statement from a physician stating that immunization is contraindicated.
b. Religious or moral exemptions - A signed statement from the parent(s)/guardian(s) that immunization is against their religious or moral beliefs.
- A student may be admitted to school provisionally while he/she is in the process of acquiring the required immunizations with a written statement from a physician and/or health clinic.
- A student who does not comply with the state immunization law will be excluded from school until compliant in accordance with Vt. State law.
- Statistical reports of student immunization status will be submitted to the state as required.
- Students attending school with a provisional, medical, moral, or religious exemption will be excluded from school should an outbreak of measles, polio, rubella, or& diphtheria occur.
Legal Citation: 18 VSA §§1120-1126.
Students must provide the school with immunization records from a physician or health clinic as cited in the Procedural Manual for Enforcement of the School Immunization Law, Agency of Human Services:
Please note that without the necessary documentation, the student will not be able to enroll in school.
The student must have received the following immunizations:
If the student is enrolling in the seventh grade*
- 5 doses of DTaP (diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis) vaccine
- 4 doses of polio vaccine
- 2 doses of MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) vaccine
- 3 doses of hepatitis vaccine
- 2 doses of chickenpox (varicella) vaccine
s/he must have received:
Students attending and residing in a residential boarding school*
- All of the immunizations listed above and
- One dose of Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis) vaccine.
- All of the immunizations listed in both sections above and
- One dose of meningococcal vaccine
These same requirements apply to all students entering as a new student at a new school
. This would include a student newly enrolling into a school, and that school is not within the same school district or supervisory union as his/her previous one.
Administrative regulations adopted November 12, 2008