The Boards of Directors of the Southwest Vermont Supervisory Union, Bennington School District, Inc., Mount Anthony Union School District, North Bennington Graded School District, Pownal School District, Shaftsbury School District, and Woodford School District recognize the health of the student directly affects his/her educational performance. It is the policy that health services must comply with state law requirements related to health screening and assessment.
Citation: Standards of Practice School Health Services 2011 On line link Manual
16 V.S.A. §1422
*SVSU Rewarned: May 21, 1998
Administrative Regulations, Policy #5100
The following health screening will be performed by the school nurse or designated staff:
- A health history and the level of wellness will be assessed on every newly entering student. This shall be updated annually.
- The only required population based school health screening is for vision and hearing.
- All students registering for kindergarten shall be screened for vision and hearing.
- All students in grades K, 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, and 9 and those receiving special education services shall have their puretone hearing tested. Impedance testing shall be done in grades K, 1, 2, and 3 by the audiologist.
- All students in K, 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9 and those receiving special education services shall have their vision tested.
- Frequency of height and weight measurements can be obtained at the discretion of the nurse, physician, parent, and student based on individual health needs.
- All screening should be completed by December 31.
- Students with abnormal screening results shall be re-evaluated.
- The parent(s)/guardian(s) shall be sent written notification in cases where abnormal screening results are obtained and additional evaluation is recommended.
- Screening results shall be kept in the student's health record.
- Screening may be extended to additional students as deemed necessary or as resources permit.
- No student shall be obliged to participate in any screening as above whose parent(s)/guardian(s) objects to the same in writing.
- Parents/guardians shall be notified for a student who is unable or unwilling to perform the screening exams. Recommendations for a professional exam will be included.
- Statistical reports of screening shall be submitted to the state as required.