It is the policy of the Southwest Vermont Supervisory Union, Bennington School District, Inc., Mount Anthony Union School District, North Bennington Graded School District, Pownal School District, Shaftsbury School District, and Woodford School District to encourage community involvement in its schools.
An effective community outreach program is a necessary component of a school system’s organization and operation. Therefore, the Board will provide the means necessary to develop and implement such a program.
The school system’s community outreach program should:
- create a planned, systematic, two-way communications process between the Board and the school community;
- encourage a better understanding of the objectives, accomplishments and needs of the school system within the community;
- create opportunities for school involvement through volunteerism, business/organizational partnerships, sponsorships, internships and other joint projects;
- use a variety of media including but not limited to meetings, letters and e-mail circulars, web sites, seminars, publications, communications media, and personal contacts;
- provide the channels necessary for resolving grievances and eliminating misunderstandings;
- inform concerned persons as to their rights, privileges and responsibilities.
- provide that, when circumstances warrant, the board will designate an administrator or board member to be the spokesperson for the board or district on a given topic or specific incident. When such a designation has been made, the designated individual shall respond on behalf of the district or board to all inquiries related to the topic or incident, and board members and staff members will refer all inquiries to the designated individual.
The Board delegates to the Superintendent the responsibility for developing a community relations program which conforms with the above principles and reporting at least annually to the supervisory union board.